The Ascension and Return of Jesus Christ
Lesson 4-April 23, 2017-David Daniel
Lesson Goal: To better understand the events of the ascension and return of Jesus Christ and what these two events should mean to the followers of Jesus Christ.
Introduction: The ascension and return of Jesus are two of the greatest events in the life of Jesus Christ. After His resurrection, Jesus Christ remained on earth for forty days (Acts 1:3) teaching His disciples. After the forty days, Jesus ascended into heaven to return.
The Ascension is the completion of Jesus Christ’s earthly mission. This mission was to provide the perfect sacrifice for the redemption of mankind. The scriptures tell us that Jesus Christ, before He ascended, instructed His disciples on their (our) mission to spread the Gospel throughout the world. Jesus told His disciples that He must leave (ascend) so that the Holy Spirit, the Counselor, will come (John 16:17).
- Why did Jesus Christ leave or ascend into heaven?
- What did Jesus promise before He ascended? John 16:7,13, 14:26
- What do you think the difference is between Jesus Christ being with the disciples during His life on earth and today where we have the presence of Him within us through the Holy Spirit?
Upon the return of Jesus Christ to the earth, He will return as the conquering King, The Lion of Judah (Revelation 5:5). He will establish His Heavenly Kingdom on earth and destroy all who have ever opposed or rejected Him. When we think of the return of Jesus Christ, we often think of what we refer to as the rapture (1 Thessalonians 3:16-18). Jesus Christ in this event does not set foot on earth He comes in a cloud and calls His saints, dead and alive (The Church) unto Him in the clouds.
His return to earth (Revelation 19:1-21) is the culmination of God’s grand plan to redeem mankind and restore the relationship He had with man before the fall of Adam. This plan was before the beginning of time (1 Peter 1:20). God for ordained Jesus Christ to come to earth as
the perfect sacrifice for the sins of mankind. However, we do not have to wait for the second return to enjoy a little bit of Heaven and the restored relationship with God our Father. We can enjoy that wonderful blessing now; if we have surrendered ourselves to Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. Through the power of the Holy Spirit, God will provide us with the presence of Jesus Christ within us
- Do you have the presence of Jesus Christ with you?
- Have you surrendered your life to Jesus Christ? Are you a follower of Jesus Christ or just a fan?
- What does the return of Jesus Christ mean to the true follower, to the mission of our Life Focus classes, to the Church, and to the lost of the world?